Learn Without Fear
The goal of Plan's global Learn Without Fear campaign is to bring about an end to violence against children in schools.
In a worldwide consultation with Plan community representatives, corporal punishment, sexual violence and bullying emerged as the main forms of violence suffered by children in school.
The campaign will build on progress to date and will continue to work towards a world where children do not need to fear going to school. As such, we reiterate our calls to governments to introduce and enforce legislation banning violence in schools and to invest in teacher training to promote positive discipline techniques.
A progress report published in October 2010 shows that in the two years since the campaign was initiated it has contributed to...
... changes in legislation
- Over 390 million children benefited from legislation protecting them from various forms of violence in schools
- Over 370 million children benefited from legislation protecting them from corporal punishment
- Over 20 million children benefited from legislation protecting them from sexual violence
- Over 6 million children benefited from legislation protecting them from bullying
- Plan is actively supporting the drafting and development of laws and policies against violence in a further 27 countries
... safer schools and communities
- 19,458 teachers have been trained in peaceful teaching methods
- 18,335 schools participated in supporting the campaign
- 108,915 family members received education on children’s rights to protection from violence
- 36 countries are able to demonstrate how training and education on violence positively impact behaviour
- Plan is collaborating with teachers’ unions to eliminate violence in schools in 19 countries
... improved awareness
- 597,886 children participated in supporting the campaign
- Over 94 million people have been reached by campaign messages
- 22 countries report a reduction in girls’ school dropout rates in targeted campaign areas
- 23 countries report a reduction in boys’ school dropout rates in targeted campaign areas
Here's what you can do
- The Learn Without Fear Campaign Progress Report
- The Economic Impact of School Violence - A report commissioned by Plan and carried out by the Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
- Prevention Pays - A summary of the main arguments of the Plan/ODI report.